[openstack-dev] Replacing pbr's autodoc feature with sphinxcontrib-apidoc

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 14:31:36 UTC 2018

As noted last week [1], we're trying to move away from pbr's autodoc
feature as part of the new docs PTI. To that end, I've created
sphinxcontrib-apidoc, which should do what pbr was previously doing for
us by via a Sphinx extension.

  https://pypi.org/project/sphinxcontrib-apidoc/

This works by reading some configuration from your documentation's
'conf.py' file and using this to call 'sphinx-apidoc'. It means we no
longer need pbr to do this for.

I have pushed version 0.1.0 to PyPi already but before I add this to
global requirements, I'd like to ensure things are working as expected.
smcginnis was kind enough to test this out on glance and it seemed to
work for him but I'd appreciate additional data points. The
configuration steps for this extension are provided in the above link.
To test this yourself, you simply need to do the following:

   1. Add 'sphinxcontrib-apidoc' to your test-requirements.txt or
      doc/requirements.txt file
   2. Configure as noted above and remove the '[pbr]' and '[build_sphinx]'
      configuration from 'setup.cfg'
   3. Replace 'python setup.py build_sphinx' with a call to 'sphinx-build'
   4. Run 'tox -e docs'
   5. Profit?

Be sure to let me know if anyone encounters issues. If not, I'll be
pushing for this to be included in global requirements so we can start
the migration.

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-March/128594.html