[openstack-dev] [nova] Review runways this cycle

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:12:47 UTC 2018

On 3/22/2018 2:59 PM, melanie witt wrote:
> And (MHO) I'm not sure we need help in reviewing more specs.

I wholly disagree here. If you're on the core team, or want to be on the
core team, you should be reviewing specs, because those are the things
that lay out the high level design and thinking about what eventually
comes out in the code.

If there are core team members that aren't involved in the specs review
process, I certainly hope they are going back to do their homework on
the agreed-to design *before* digging into code review.

There are some specs that are pretty simple/mechanical changes, but
there are others that take quite a bit of time ironing out details and
edge cases, and sometimes changes in the initial design, such that it's
important to have that context in mind when you're reviewing the code.

There have been plenty of times I've gone through a lengthy spec review
process and then during implementation review I find things and say,
"wait, in the spec we said...". If you're not involved in both, you're
likely to miss those things.

At the least it gets the context in your head so you're not starting
from scratch.

Maybe you were just saying, "we don't need to review more specs because
we already have enough approved specs to get through the related code
changes", and that's fair, I've said the same before, but those are two
different things.

Matt