[openstack-dev] [all][requirements] a plan to stop syncing requirements into projects

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Mar 22 20:16:06 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2018-03-21 16:02:06 -0400:
> Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2018-03-15 07:03:11 -0400:
> >
> > TL;DR
> > -----
> >
> > Let's stop copying exact dependency specifications into all our
> > projects to allow them to reflect the actual versions of things
> > they depend on. The constraints system in pip makes this change
> > safe. We still need to maintain some level of compatibility, so the
> > existing requirements-check job (run for changes to requirements.txt
> > within each repo) will change a bit rather than going away completely.
> > We can enable unit test jobs to verify the lower constraint settings
> > at the same time that we're doing the other work.
>
> The new job definition is in https://review.openstack.org/555034 and I
> have updated the oslo.config patch I mentioned before to use the new job
> instead of one defined in the oslo.config repo (see
> https://review.openstack.org/550603).
>
> I'll wait for that job patch to be reviewed and approved before I start
> adding the job to a bunch of other repositories.
>
> Doug

The job definition for openstack-tox-lower-constraints [1] was approved
today (thanks AJaegar and pabelenger).

I have started proposing the patches to add that job to the repos listed
in openstack/requirements/projects.txt using the topic
"requirements-stop-syncing" [2]. I hope to have the rest of those
proposed by the end of the day tomorrow, but since they have to run in
batches I don't know if that will be possible.

The patch to remove the update proposal job is ready for review [3].

As is the patch to allow project requirements to diverge by changing the
rules in the requirements-check job [4].

We ran into a snag with a few of the jobs for projects that rely on
having service projects installed. There have been a couple of threads
about that recently, but Monty has promised to start another one to
provide all of the necessary context so we can fix the issues and move
ahead.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/555034
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:requirements-stop-syncing+(status:open+OR+status:merged)