[openstack-dev] Is openstacksdk backward compatible?

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Mar 22 12:01:02 UTC 2018

On 03/22/2018 05:14 AM, zijian1012 at 163.com wrote:
> Hello, everyone
> The openstack version I deployed was Newton,  now
> I am ready to use openstacksdk for development, *,
> *I noticed that the latest *openstacksdk *version is 0.12
> <https://github.com/openstack/python-openstacksdk/tree
> /0.12.0>,this makes me a bit confused, How do I know if this sdk(0.12)
> is compatible with my openstack(Newton)?

openstacksdk should work with all existing versions of OpenStack. If you
ever find a scenario when latest openstacksdk does not work with the
cloud you are using, it is a bug and we will fix it as quickly as possible.

We'll hopefully be releasing a 1.0 of openstacksdk soon, however 0.12
should be safe for you to use.

> I also noticed that the
> python-xxxclient version and openstack version are strictly corresponding,
> such as "python-novaclient/tree/newton-eol",
> "python-neutronclient/tree/newton-eol". So, should I use
> python-xxxclient instead of openstacksdk?

Please do not use python-xxxclient for any new work. Doing so will cause
you nothing but pain.

Let us know if you have any issues with openstacksdk ... #openstack-sdks
in IRC is a great place to find people.

Monty