[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Recap of Python 3 testing session at PTG

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Sat Mar 17 08:34:24 UTC 2018

During the PTG we had some nice conversations about how TripleO can make
progress on testing OpenStack deployments with Python 3.
In CC, Haikel, Alfredo and Javier, please complete if I missed something.

## Goal

As an OpenStack distribution, RDO would like to ensure that the OpenStack
services (which aren't depending on Python 2) are packaged and can be
containerized to be tested in TripleO CI.

## Challenges

- Some services aren't fully Python 3, but we agreed this was not our
problem but the project's problems. However, as a distribution, we'll make
sure to ship what we can on Python 3.
- CentOS 7 is not the Python 3 distro and there are high expectations from
the next release but we aren't there yet.
- Fedora is Python 3 friendly but we don't deploy TripleO on Fedora, and we
don't want to do it (for now at least).

## Proposal

- Continue to follow upstream projects who support Python3 only and ship
rpms in RDO.
- Investigate the build of Kolla containers on Fedora / Python 3 and push
them to a registry (maybe in the same namespace with different name or
maybe a new namespace).
- Kick-off some TripleO CI experimental job that will use these containers
to deploy TripleO (maybe on one basic scenario for now).

## Roadmap for Rocky

For Rocky we agreed to follow the 3 steps part of the proposal (maybe more,
please add what I've missed).
That way, we'll be able to have some early testing on python3-only
environments (thanks containers!) without changing the host OS.

Thanks for your feedback and comments, it's an open discussion.
--
Emilien Macchi