[openstack-dev] [nova] New image backend: StorPool

young, eric Eric.Young at dell.com
Fri Mar 16 16:27:16 UTC 2018

I can provide some insights from the Dell EMC ScaleIO side.

As you can see from the patch that Matt pointed to, it is possible to add ephemeral/image backend support to Nova. That said, it is not easy and [IMHO] prone to error. There is no ‘driver model’ like there is in Cinder, where you just implement a spec and run tests. You have to go into the Nova code itself and add a whole bunch of logic specific to your backend. Once complete and you have your CI setup to run the Nova test suite, getting reviews complete is tough due to all of the different priorities. You’ll also need to keep an eye on others things going into Nova and be sure that your CI continues to report success.

If I had it to do all over again, I would strongly suggest that developers looking to add ‘yet another backend’ combine their resources and tackle the cleanup of the existing libvirt code as well as the generic Cinder backend support that Matt mentioned.

The patch below, which adds ephemeral/image support for ScaleIo has not yet merged upstream; I am currently working with ScaleIO customers to determine how important it really is. I may find myself volunteering for the generic approach as I think it is a much better route.

Eric