[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt] question on max cpu and memory

Chen CH Ji jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Thu Mar 15 07:50:16 UTC 2018

In order to work on [1] for prove libvirt is ok to do live-resize, I want
to make following changes on xml file of instance
to make maximum memory as 1G and current memory as 512M , and current CPU
is a while maximum CPU is 2 so that we can hot resize through libvirt
interface

question I have is whether it's ok and whether the current CPU count (1 in
this case) is inconsistent to cpu topology lead to any problem ?
and are there some considerations/limitations ? Not so much experience so
any comments is appreciated

  <memory unit='KiB'>1048576</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>524288</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static' current='1'>2</vcpu>

  <cpu>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>

[1]https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/instance-live-resize

Best Regards!

Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨

Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM at IBMCN   Internet: jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Phone: +86-10-82451493
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District,
Beijing 100193, PRC