[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [FWaaS] Stateless Security Groups or Firewalls Discussion

Nikolai de Figueiredo nikolai.defigueiredo at netronome.com
Mon Mar 12 16:33:36 UTC 2018

Hi all

I have just discovered an RFE [1] that was submitted on the 5th of March (a
few days ago) proposing an extension to Neutron and specifically security
groups to enable stateless filtering. The topic of stateless firewalls was
discussed at the Rocky PTG with the FWaaS sub-team but we didn't discuss
the feature from the perspective of security groups [2].

>From the sound of the RFE Nokia is volunteering resources to implement this
extension for similar reasons as were discussed by the firewall team. I
would like to firstly bring this to the attention of the team and secondly
begin the discussions around the inevitable need for a specification.

My initial question is as in the subject line: should this be a security
group extension or a firewall extension or both?

Further discussion may continue in the shared Google document [3].

Regards
Nikolai

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1753466
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/fwaas-rocky-planning
[3] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pWU5wSIlba7oixpKT8CS
xpJnFCJt8zJj18c-mVE9uUM/edit?usp=sharing
--
*Nikolai de Figueiredo*
*Software Engineer*

*Netronome* | Unit 7, Corporate Corner, 2 Marco Polo St, Centurion, 0157
Phone: +27 12 665 4427 <+27%2012%20665%204427> | Skype: live:sphvengaurd |
www.netronome.com