[openstack-dev] [nova][notification] Full traceback in ExceptionPayload

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Fri Mar 9 12:26:28 UTC 2018

Hi,

On the PTG a question was raised that why don't we have the full
traceback in the versioned error notifications as the legacy
notifications has the full traceback.

I dig into the past and found out that this difference was intentional.
During the original versioned notification spec review [2] there was
couple of back and forth what to add to the ExceptionPayload and what
not. I think the main reasons not to add the full traceback was that it
cannot be well defined what goes in that field (it would have been a
single serialized string) and possible security implications. Then in
the review we ended up agreing on the ExceptionPayload structure [3]
that was later implemented and merged.

The instance-action REST API has already provide the traceback to the
user (to the admin by default) and the notifications are also admin
only things as they are emitted to the message bus by default. So I
assume that security is not a bigger concern for the notification than
for the REST API. So I think the only issue we have to accept is that
the traceback object in the ExceptionPayload will not be a well defined
field but a simple string containing a serialized traceback.

If there is no objection then Kevin or I can file a specless bp to
extend the ExceptionPayload.

Cheers,
gibi

[1] L387 in https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-rocky