[openstack-dev] Pros and Cons of face-to-face meetings

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Mar 8 20:06:40 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-08 02:18 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> Fully agree with Doug. At CERN, we use video conferencing for 100s, sometimes >1000 participants for the LHC experiments, the trick we've found is to fully embrace the chat channels (so remote non-native English speakers can provide input) and chairs/vectors who can summarise the remote questions constructively, with appropriate priority.
>
> This is actually very close to the etherpad approach, we benefit from the local bandwidth if available but do not exclude those who do not have it (or the language skills to do it in real time).

Just expanding on the phrase 'the etherpad approach' one instance on the
Friday saw some infra team members discussing the gerrit upgrade in
person and one infra team member (snowed in at the same hotel as Doug)
following along on the etherpad as it was updated and weighing in on the
updates (either via the etherpad or irc, I'm not sure, my laptop was not
open).

So again echoing the chorus, there are possibilities, but those
possibilities require effort and usually prior knowledge of participants
and their habits.

Thank you,
Anita