[openstack-dev] Pros and Cons of face-to-face meetings

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Mar 8 18:34:51 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-08 12:16:18 -0600 (-0600), Jay S Bryant wrote:
[...]
> Cinder has been doing this for many years and it has worked
> relatively well. It requires a good remote speaker and it also
> requires the people in the room to be sensitive to the needs of
> those who are remote. I.E. planning topics at a time appropriate
> for the remote attendees, ensuring everyone speaks up, etc. If
> everyone, however, works to be inclusive with remote participants
> it works well.
>
> We have even managed to make this work between separate mid-cycles
> (Cinder and Nova) in the past before we did PTGs.
[...]

I've seen it work okay when the number of remote participants is
small and all are relatively known to the in-person participants.
Even so, bridging Doug into the TC discussion at the PTG was
challenging for all participants.

When meeting in person there is a fair amount of shared body
language which helps keep the flow and balance of participants so
none of us can start to ramble too much when we need to get through
a topic quickly. Remote participants are robbed of that higher
bandwidth interaction which extends beyond mere intonation and,
perhaps, facial expression. It's harder for someone on the other end
of a phone or computer to successfully interject during a heated
conversation, and also conversely harder for the in-person
participants to interject when a remote speaker is saying something.
--
Jeremy Stanley