[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-10

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu Mar 8 17:11:25 UTC 2018

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> I don't get the inward/outward thing. First two days of the old design
>> summit (ops summit?) format was all cross-project stuff (docs, upgrades,
>> testing, ops feedback, etc). That's the same as what happens at the PTG
>> now too. The last three days of the old design summit (and now PTG) are
>> vertical project discussion for the most part, but Thursday has also
>> become a de-facto cross-project day for a lot of teams (nova/cinder,
>> nova/neutron, nova/ironic all happened on Thursday). I'm not sure what
>> is happening at the Forum events that is so wildly different, or more
>> productive, than what we can do at the PTG - and arguably do it better
>> at the PTG because of fewer distractions to be giving talks, talking to
>> customers, and having time-boxed 40 minute slots.
>
> The PTG has always been about taking the team discussions that happened
> at the Ops Summit / Design Summit to have them in a more productive
> environment.

I am just going to say it but can we *please* stop distinguishing
between ops and devs (a ops summit, like why); the fact that these
emails even continue to have the word op or dev or ops communicate with
devs and then devs go do something that may work (hint this kind of
feedback loop is wrong) for ops pisses me off. The world has moved
beyond this kind of separation and openstack needs to as well... IMHO
projects that still rely on this kind of interaction are dead in the
water. If you aren't as a developer at least trying to operate even a
small openstack cloud (even a personal one) then you really shouldn't be
continuing as a developer in openstack...