[openstack-dev] [PTG] [Infra] [all] zuulv3 Job Template vs irrelevant files/branch var

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Mar 8 01:44:08 UTC 2018

Hi All,

Before PTG, we were discussing about Job Template and irrelevant files
issues on multiple mailing thread [1].

Both things does not work as expected and it leads to run the jobs on
irrelevant files also and on excluded branch.

In Dublin PTG, during infra help hours on Tuesday, we had talk on this
topic and to find the best approach.

First of all thanks to Jim for explaining the workflow of zuulv3 about
selecting and integrating the matched jobs. How jobs are being matched
and how variables like branch and irrelevant-files are being taken
care between job definition and job template and project's pipeline
list.

Current issue (explained in ML [1]) is with the integrated-gate job
template [2] where integrated job like tempest-full are being run.
Other job template like 'system-required', 'openstack-python-jobs'
etc.

After discussion, It is found more complicated to solve these issues
as of now and it might take time for Jim/infra team to come up with
better way to handle job template and irrelevant_files/branch var etc.

We talked about few possibilities like one way is to supersede the job
template defined var by project's pipeline list. For example if
irrelevant_files are defined by both job template and project's
pipelines then ignore/skip the job template values of that var or all
var. But this is just idea and not sure how feasible and best it can
be.

But till the best approach/solution is ready, we need to have some
workaround as current issue cause running many jobs on unnecessary
patches and consume lot of infra resources.

We discussed few of the workaround mentioned below and we can go for
one based on majority of people or infra team like/suggest-
1. Do not use integrated-gate template and let each project have the
jobs in their pipeline list
2. Define all the irrelevant files for each projects in job template ?
3. Leave as it is.

..1 http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127349.html
     http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127347.html

..2 https://github.com/openstack-infra/openstack-zuul-jobs/blob/49cd964470c081005f671d6829a14dace2c9ccc2/zuul.d/zuul-legacy-project-templates.yaml#L82