[openstack-dev] [keystone] batch processing with unified limits

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 00:10:42 UTC 2018

The keystone team is parsing the unified limits discussions from last
week. One of the things we went over as a group was the usability of the
current API [0].

Currently, the create and update APIs support batch processing. So
specifying a list of limits is valid for both. This was a part of the
original proposal as a way to make it easier for operators to set all
their registered limits with a single API call. The API also has unique
IDs for each limit reference. The consensus was that this felt a bit
weird with a resource that contains a unique set of attributes that can
make up a constraints (service, resource type, and optionally a region).
We're discussing ways to make this API more consistent with how the rest
of keystone works while maintaining usability for operators. Does anyone
see issues with supporting batch creation for limits and individual
updates? In other words, removing the ability to update a set of limits
in a single API call, but keeping the ability to create them in batches?

We were talking about this in the keystone channel, but opening this up
on the ML to get more feedback from other people who were present in
those discussions last week.

[0]
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/identity/v3/index.html#unified-limits
[1]