[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Bifrost] Manually enrolling a node

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Mar 4 23:32:25 UTC 2018

I think one might be a bug in the deploy guide then. It states:

"In order for nodes to be available for deploying workloads on them, nodes
must be in the available provision state. To do this, nodes created with
API version 1.11 and above must be moved from the enroll state to the
manageable state and then to the available state. This section can be
safely skipped, if API version 1.10 or earlier is used (which is the case
by default)."

Whereas I definitely had to move the node to the manage provision state
manually to get the node to be managed. For reference, this is the set of
command lines I ended up using to manually enroll a node (in case its of
use to someone else):

ironic node-create -d agent_ipmitool \
          -i ipmi_username=root \
          -i ipmi_password=superuser \
          -i ipmi_address=192.168.50.31 \
          -i deploy_kernel=http://192.168.50.209:8080/ipa.vmlinuz \
          -i deploy_ramdisk=http://192.168.50.209:8080/ipa.initramfs \
          -p cpus=16 \
          -p memory_mb=12288 \
          -p local_gb=750 \
          -p cpu_arch=x86_64 \
          -p capabilities=boot_option:local \
          -n lab8
ironic port-create -n ${UUID}  -a ${DHCP_MAC}
ironic node-validate lab8
ironic --ironic-api-version 1.11 node-set-provision-state lab8 manage

Michael