[openstack-dev] [qa][tempest-plugins][release][tc][ptl]: Coordinated Release Model proposal for Tempest & Tempest Plugins

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jun 26 12:53:21 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Andrea Frittoli's message of 2018-06-26 13:35:11 +0100:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 1:08 pm Thierry Carrez, <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> > Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > My suggestion: tempest has to be compatible with all supported releases
> > > (of both services and plugins) OR be branched.
> > > [...]
> > I tend to agree with Dmitry... We have a model for things that need
> > release alignment, and that's the cycle-bound series. The reason tempest
> > is branchless was because there was no compatibility issue. If the split
> > of tempest plugins introduces a potential incompatibility, then I would
> > prefer aligning tempest to the existing model rather than introduce a
> > parallel tempest-specific cycle just so that tempest can stay
> > release-independent...
> >
> > I seem to remember there were drawbacks in branching tempest, though...
> > Can someone with functioning memory brain cells summarize them again ?
> >

> Branchless Tempest enforces api stability across branches.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time taking this statement seriously
when the current source of tension is that the Tempest API itself
is breaking for its plugins.

Maybe rather than talking about how to release compatible things
together, we should go back and talk about why Tempest's API is changing
in a way that can't be made backwards-compatible. Can you give some more
detail about that?

Doug