[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] placement update 18-24

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:48:05 UTC 2018

Thanks for this, a few things inline.

On 6/15/2018 10:04 AM, Chris Dent wrote:

> The flip side of this is that it highlights that we have a growing
> documentation debt with the many features provided by placement and
> how to make best use of them in nova (and other services that might
> like to use placement). Before the end of the cycle we will need to
> be sure that we set aside a considerable chunk of time to address
> this gap.

I'm glad you mentioned this so I didn't have to. :) The two things off
the top of my head that are going to be important for docs are:

1. How to deploy / model shared disk. Seems fairly straight-forward, and
we could even maybe create a multi-node ceph job that does this -
wouldn't that be awesome?!?!

2. Adding the placement database stuff to the install guide and the
placement upgrade notes. I assume that for fresh installs, we want
people using the placement database configuration so they don't have to
move later during an upgrade, so that seems like a no-brainer. The
upgrade docs for placement are per-release and should have a mention of
the placement database and any notes / pointers (the spec?) on migration
options. What we heard at the summit, for the most part, was 10 minutes
of down time in the API for a DB copy and re-config was OK for most, and
others that need zero downtime have ways of doing that as well. We don't
need a definitive guide, just high level wording on options.

> There is now a [heal allocations
> CLI](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565886/) which is designed to
> help people migrate away from the CachingScheduler (which doesn't
> use placement).

Not only that, but we can use it to heal missing/sentinel consumers from
the "consumer generations" blueprint. I've started something for that here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/574488/

> Nova host aggregates are now magically mirrored as placement
> aggregates and, amongst other things, this is used to honor the
> [availability_zone hint via
> placement](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/546282/).

The aggregates mirror blueprint is not done until the 'nova-manage
placement sync_aggregates' command is in place, which is started here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/575912/

> # Extraction

All of the functional changes for the placement DB stuff are merged or
approved, I think there are just some cleanup follow-ups and docs needed
still, but otherwise that's done I think and could probably be removed
from the runway slot it's in?

> * <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/538498/>
>    Convert driver supported capabilities to compute node provider
>    traits

I (finally) got around to rebasing this yesterday. There are a few TODOs
left but it shouldn't be too bad, hopefully I can close that out when I
get back next week.

Matt