[openstack-dev] [qa][python3] advice needed with updating lib-forward-testing jobs

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jun 13 16:19:18 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2018-06-13 10:31:00 -0400:
> Excerpts from Ghanshyam's message of 2018-06-13 16:52:33 +0900:
> >  ---- On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 05:09:03 +0900 Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote ----
> >  > I would like to create a version of the jobs that run as part of
> >  > lib-forward-testing (legacy-tempest-dsvm-neutron-src) that works under
> >  > python 3. I'm not sure the best way to proceed, since that's a legacy
> >  > job.
> >  >
> >  > I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with the job to port it to be
> >  > zuulv3 native and allow us to drop the "legacy". Should I just
> >  > duplicate that job and modify it and keep the new one as "legacy"
> >  > too?
> >  >
> >  > Is there a different job I should base the work on? I don't see anything
> >  > obvious in the tempest repo's .zuul.yaml file.
> >
> > I had a quick glance of this job (legacy-tempest-dsvm-neutron-src) and it is similar to tempest-full-py3 job except it override the LIBS_FROM_GIT with corresponding lib. tempest-full-py3 job is py3 based with tempest-full tests running and disable the swift services
> >
> > You can create a new job (something tempest-full-py3-src) derived from 'tempest-full-py3' if all set var is ok for you like disable swift OR derived  'devstack-tempest' and then build other var similar to 'tempest-full-py3'.  Extra things you need to do is to add libs you want to override in 'required_project' list (FYI-
> > Now LIBS_FROM_GIT is automatically set based on required projects [2]) .
> >
> > Later, old job (legacy-tempest-dsvm-neutron-src) can be migrated separately if needed to run or removed.
> >
> > But I am not sure which repo  should own this new job.
>
> Could it be as simple as adding tempest-full-py3 with the
> required-projects list updated to include the current repository? So
> there isn't a special separate job, and we would just reuse
> tempest-full-py3 for this?
>
> It would be less "automatic" than the current project-template and job,
> but still relatively simple to set up. Am I missing something? This
> feels too easy...

I think I could define a job with a name like tempest-full-py3-src based
on tempest-full-py3 and set LIBS_FROM_GIT to include
{{zuul.project.name}} in the devstack_localrc vars section. If I
understand correctly, that would automatically set LIBS_FROM_GIT to
refer to the project that the job is attached to, which would make it
easier to use from a project-template (I would also create a
lib-forward-testing-py3 project template to supplement
lib-forward-testing).

Does that sound right?

Doug