[openstack-dev] use of storyboard (was [TC] Stein Goal Selection)

Emmet Hikory persia at shipstone.jp
Tue Jun 12 15:26:26 UTC 2018

Doug Hellmann wrote:

> If an epic is just a list of stories, doesn't that make it a worklist?

    Worklists are one way to do epics.  In prior discussion about epics, a number of people have raised the idea that an epic contains more than just a list of stories, but also connective narrative (think about all the “I’ll kill you in the morning” parts of Arabian Nights, for example).  In that case, a wiki page may be a better solution, where the wiki page has the connective narrative, perhaps a list of personae, or whatever is appropriate for the specific requirements analysis procedure being used, and links to individual stories that together will enable the epic (but may also appear in different epics with different personae, etc.).  Such a textual document with links could also be implemented using the specs infrastructure, rather than a wiki page.  I suspect there are other ways that I do not recall at the moment, or I have not heard proposed.

    At a high level, I think epics are important, but I think that more experimentation with ways to connect collections of stories is necessary before we can collectively understand what would make sense.  We should try several things (likely adoptions from the various ways we are doing similar tracking now), and I expect us to slowly converge on two or three solutions that are known to work well for our teams, depending on the individual characteristics of the teams.

—
Emmet HIKORY