[openstack-dev] [tc] StarlingX project status update

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 22:02:49 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 9:08 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
[snip]

> When all of this is done, a viable project with real users will be
> open source instead of closed source. Those contributors, and users,
> will be a part of our community instead of looking in from the
> outside. The path is ugly, long, and clearly not ideal. But, I
> consider the result a win, overall.

While I agree with Doug that we assume good faith and hope for the best, I
personally think we should help them (what we're doing now) but also make
sure we DO NOT set a precedent. We could probably learn from this situation
and document in our governance what the TC expects when companies have a
fork and need to contribute back at some point. We all know StarlingX isn't
alone and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of deployments out there who are
in the same situation.

I guess my point is, yes for helping StarlingX now but no for incubating
future forks if that happens. Like Graham, I think these methods shouldn't
be what we encourage in our position.
--
Emilien Macchi