[openstack-dev] [tc][ptl][python3][help-wanted] starting work on "python 3 first" transition

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jun 6 20:27:34 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Sean McGinnis's message of 2018-06-06 15:14:48 -0500:
> On 06/06/2018 03:04 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > I have started submitting a series of patches to fix up the tox.ini
> > settings for projects as a step towards running "python3 first"
> > [1]. The point of doing this now is to give teams a head start on
> > understanding the work involved as we consider whether to make this
> > a community goal.
>
> I would ask that you stop.
>
> While I think this is useful as a quick way of finding out which projects
> will require additional work here and which don't, this is just creating
> a lot of work and overlap.
>
> Some teams are not ready to take this on right now. So unless you are
> planning on actually following through with making the failing ones work,
> it is just adding to the set of failing patches in their review queue.
>
> Other teams are already working on this and working through the failures
> due to the differences between python 2 and 3. So these just end up being
> duplication and a distraction for limited review capacity.

I've already proposed all of the ones I intended to, so if folks
don't want them either abandon them or let me know and I will.

Otherwise, I will work with anyone who wants to use these as the
first step to converting their doc and release notes jobs, or to
explore what else would need to be done as part of the shift.

Doug