[openstack-dev] [nova] proposal to postpone nova-network core functionality removal to Stein

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 17:32:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, 31 May 2018 15:04:53 -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 5/31/2018 1:35 PM, melanie witt wrote:
>>
>> This cycle at the PTG, we had decided to start making some progress
>> toward removing nova-network [1] (thanks to those who have helped!) and
>> so far, we've landed some patches to extract common network utilities
>> from nova-network core functionality into separate utility modules. And
>> we've started proposing removal of nova-network REST APIs [2].
>>
>> At the cells v2 sync with operators forum session at the summit [3], we
>> learned that CERN is in the middle of migrating from nova-network to
>> neutron and that holding off on removal of nova-network core
>> functionality until Stein would help them out a lot to have a safety net
>> as they continue progressing through the migration.
>>
>> If we recall correctly, they did say that removal of the nova-network
>> REST APIs would not impact their migration and Surya Seetharaman is
>> double-checking about that and will get back to us. If so, we were
>> thinking we can go ahead and work on nova-network REST API removals this
>> cycle to make some progress while holding off on removing the core
>> functionality of nova-network until Stein.
>>
>> I wanted to send this to the ML to let everyone know what we were
>> thinking about this and to receive any additional feedback folks might
>> have about this plan.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -melanie
>>
>> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-rocky L301
>> [2] https://review.openstack.org/567682
>> [3]
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR18-cellsv2-migration-sync-with-operators
>> L30
>
> As a reminder, this is the etherpad I started to document the nova-net
> specific compute REST APIs which are candidates for removal:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-network-removal-rocky

Update: In the cells meeting today [4], Surya confirmed that CERN is
okay with nova-network REST API pieces being removed this cycle while
leaving the core functionality of nova-network intact, as they continue
their migration from nova-network to neutron. We're tracking the
nova-net REST API removal candidates on the aforementioned
nova-network-removal etherpad.

-melanie

[4]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova_cells/2018/nova_cells.2018-06-06-17.00.html