[openstack-dev] [release] openstack-tox-validate: python setup.py check --restructuredtext --strict

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 6 13:35:59 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-06 16:36:45 +0900 (+0900), Akihiro Motoki wrote:
[...]
> In addition, unfortunately such checks are not run in project gate,
> so there is no way to detect in advance.
> I think we need a way to check this when a change is made
> instead of detecting an error when a release patch is proposed.

While I hate to suggest yet another Python PTI addition, for my
personal projects I test every commit (essentially a check/gate
pipeline job) with:

    python setup.py check --restructuredtext --strict
    python setup.py bdist_wheel sdist

...as proof that it hasn't broken sdist/wheel building nor regressed
the description-file provided in my setup.cfg. My intent is to add
other release artifact tests into the same set so that there are no
surprises come release time.

We sort of address this case in OpenStack projects by forcing sdist
builds in our standard pep8 jobs, so maybe that would be a
lower-overhead place to introduce the setup rst check?
Brainstorming.
--
Jeremy Stanley