[openstack-dev] [kuryr][kuryr-kubernetes] Propose to support Kubernetes Network Custom Resource Definition De-facto Standard Version 1

Peng Liu pliu at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 03:47:59 UTC 2018

Hi Kuryr-kubernetes team,

I'm thinking to propose a new BP to support  Kubernetes Network Custom
Resource Definition De-facto Standard Version 1 [1], which was drafted by
network plumbing working group of kubernetes-sig-network. I'll call it NPWG
spec below.

The purpose of NPWG spec is trying to standardize the multi-network effort
around K8S by defining a CRD object 'network' which can be consumed by
various CNI plugins. I know there has already been a BP VIF-Handler And Vif
Drivers Design, which has designed a set of mechanism to implement the
multi-network functionality. However I think it is still worthwhile to
support this widely accepted NPWG spec.

My proposal is to implement a new vif_driver, which can interpret the PoD
annotation and CRD defined by NPWG spec, and attach pod to additional
neutron subnet and port accordingly. This new driver should be mutually
exclusive with the sriov and additional_subnets drivers.So the endusers can
choose either way of using mult-network with kuryr-kubernetes.

Please let me know your thought, any comments are welcome.

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ny03h6IDVy_e_vmElOqR7UdTPAG_
RNydhVE1Kx54kFQ/edit#heading=h.hylsbqoj5fxd

Regards,

--
Peng Liu