[openstack-dev] [heat][ci][infra] telemetry test broken on oslo.messaging stable/queens

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Tue Jun 5 18:42:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 10:47:17AM -0400, Ken Giusti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The telemetry integration test for oslo.messaging has started failing
> on the stable/queens branch [0].
>
> A quick review of the logs points to a change in heat-tempest-plugin
> that is incompatible with the version of gabbi from queens upper
> constraints (1.40.0) [1][2].
>
> The job definition [3] includes required-projects that do not have
> stable/queens branches - including heat-tempest-plugin.
>
> My question - how do I prevent this job from breaking when these
> unbranched projects introduce changes that are incompatible with
> upper-constrants for a particular branch?

Tempest and plugins should be installed in a venv to isolate it's
requirements from the rest of what devstack is installing during the
job. This should be happening by default, the only place it gets installed
on system python and where there is a potential conflict is if INSTALL_TEMPEST
is set to True. See:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/lib/tempest#n57

That flag only exists so we test tempest coinstallability in the gate, as well
as for local devstack users.

We don't install branchless projects on system python in stable jobs exactly
because they're is a likely conflict between the stable branch's requirements
and master's (which is what branchless projects follow).

-Matt Treinish