[openstack-dev] [release] Stein: a slightly longer release cycle

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jul 31 10:07:07 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

As we approach the final stages of the Rocky release, it's time to start
planning Stein work. The Stein release schedule is available here:

https://releases.openstack.org/stein/schedule.html

As discussed[1] during the Vancouver Board+TC+UC meeting, the Foundation
will be holding the first PTG in 2019 immediately after the Denver
summit in April, 2019 (in the same venue). Since we want to place the
PTG close to the cycle start, this results in a slightly-longer release
cycle, with the Stein release set to April 10, 2019.

That makes Stein 4 weeks longer than Havana or Kilo, our longest cycles
so far. That said, with the Berlin summit, Thanksgiving, the long
end-of-year holiday break, and Chinese new year, there will be a lot of
work time lost during this cycle (like during all of our
Northern-hemisphere winter cycles), so the release management team
doesn't really expect Stein to feel that much longer, or work planning
to be significantly impacted.

Cheers,

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2018-June/002598.html

--