[openstack-dev] [nova][ptl][election] PTL candidacy for the Stein cycle

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 23:41:01 UTC 2018

Hello Stackers,

I'd like to announce my candidacy for PTL of Nova for the Stein cycle. I
feel like Rocky has been a whirlwind of a cycle with a lot of active
participation by developers, operators, and users. Thank you all for
bearing with me for the past cycle as I have learned the ropes of being
a PTL.

We accomplished a lot in Rocky, with some highlights including:

* Experimented with a new review process, "review runways"
* Began using the new Neutron port binding API to minimize network
downtime during live migrations
* Completed the placement side of nested resource providers (Nova
integration work still remains)
* Volume-backed instances will no longer claim root_gb for new instances
and existing instances will heal during move operations
* Made progress on removing nova-network-specific REST APIs
* Added a  nova-manage command to purge archived shadow table data
* Doing more pre-filtering in placement before we iterate over compute
host candidates with FilterScheduler filters
* Added the ability to boot instances with trusted virtual functions
* Added the ability to disable a cell in cells v2
* Added a way to mitigate Meltdown/Spectre performance degradation via
cpu flags

Looking toward Stein, we have more work to do with integrating placement
nested resource providers into Nova, implementing migration of flat
resource providers => nested tree-based resource providers in placement,
adding more resiliency in cells v2 for handling "down" or poorer
performing cells, removing nova-network, and more to be discussed and
prioritized at the PTG [1].

It would be my privilege to serve the Nova community for another cycle
and if elected, I endeavor to do a better job using what I have learned
during the Rocky cycle. I am always trying to improve, so please feel
free to share your feedback with me.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
-melanie