[openstack-dev] [manila][PTL][Election] PTL candidacy for the Stein cycle

Tom Barron tpb at dyncloud.net
Sun Jul 29 20:20:07 UTC 2018

Fellow Stackers,

I just served a term as Manila PTL for Rocky and am writing to say
that if you choose me I'd like to also take on that role for the Stein
release cycle.

I think I've learned the mechanics now and can focus more energy on
priorities.

Today manila itself is pretty solid.  It doesn't need lots of new
features.  Back end vendors always want to expose new bells and
whistles, and that's fine if they help with the review load and
contribute to the community.  Reciprocity makes the world go around.

But I see the adoption curve for manila just now ramping up and my own
focus will be to enable that by working to harden manila and to make
it easier to use, both within and outside of openstack itself.

Manila offers file-shares as a service -- self-service, RWX, random
access storage -- and abstracts over a variety of file-systems and
sharing protocols.

Manila doesn't care if the consumers of the file systems live within
openstack or not.  It's just a matter of network reachability and the
access rights that manila manages.

Besides being able to run as one part of a full openstack deployment,
manila can run on its own, with keystone to enable multi-tenancy, or
completely standalone.

So I see manila as a true Open Infrastructure project.  It can turn a
rack of unconfigured equipment into self-service shared file systems
without limiting itself to the (very important) Virtual Private Server
use case [1].

I will, accordingly, work to position manila as *the* open source
solution for deploying RWX random access storage across data centers
and across clouds.  To that end we need to:

 * get manila into generalized cloud providers like CSI [2]

 * get manila into the openstack sdk and openstack client

 * get more of the almost thirty manila back ends exposed in
   production-quality deployment tools like tripleo, kolla-*,
   and juju.

 * continue to fix bugs, improve our CI, run more stuff in gate with
   python 3

These are the things that will drive me if you choose me as manila PTL.

Thanks for listening,

-- Tom Barron (tbarron)

[1] https://www.zerobanana.com/archive/2018/07/17#openstack-layer-model-limitations

[2] https://github.com/container-storage-interface/spec/blob/master/spec.md