[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] placement update 18-30

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 19:06:57 UTC 2018

On 7/27/2018 8:07 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> # Questions
>
> I wrote up some analysis of the way the [resource tracker talks to
> placement](https://anticdent.org/novas-use-of-placement.html). It
> identifies some redundancies. Actually it reinforces that some
> redundancies we've known about are still there. Fixing some of these
> things might count as bug fixes. What do you think?

Performance issues are definitely bugs so I think that's fair. How big
of an impact the solution is is another thing.

> * "How to deploy / model shared disk. Seems fairly straight-forward,
>      and we could even maybe create a multi-node ceph job that does
>      this - wouldn't that be awesome?!?!", says an enthusiastic Matt
>      Riedemann.

Two updates here:

1. We've effectively disabled the shared storage provider stuff in the
libvirt driver:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1784020

Because of the reasons listed in the bug. That's going to require a spec
in Stein if we're going to fully support shared storage providers and
the work items from that bug would be a good start for a spec.

2. Coincidentally, I *just* got a working ceph (single-node) CI job run
working with a shared storage provider providing DISK_GB for the single
compute node provider:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586363/

Fleshing that out for a multi-node job shouldn't be too hard.

All of that is now entered in the Stein PTG etherpad for discussion in
Denver.

> * The whens and wheres of re-shaping and VGPUs.

I'm not sure anything about this has to be documented for Rocky since we
didn't get /reshaper done so nothing regarding VGPUs in nova changed,
right? Except I think Sylvain fixed one VGPU gap in the libvirt driver
which was updated in the docs, but unrelated to /reshaper.

Matt