[openstack-dev] [cinder] about block device driver

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:43:59 UTC 2018

On 7/16/2018 4:20 AM, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
> If I remember correctly the driver was deprecated because it had no
> maintainer or CI.  In Cinder we require our drivers to have both,
> otherwise we can't guarantee that they actually work or that anyone will
> fix it if it gets broken.

Would this really require 3rd party CI if it's just local block storage
on the compute node (in devstack)? We could do that with an upstream CI
job right? We already have upstream CI jobs for things like rbd and nfs.
The 3rd party CI requirements generally are for proprietary storage
backends.

I'm only asking about the CI side of this, the other notes from Sean
about tweaking the LVM volume backend and feature parity are good
reasons for removal of the unmaintained driver.

Another option is using the nova + libvirt + lvm image backend for local
(to the VM) ephemeral disk:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/6be7f7248fb1c2bbb890a0a48a424e205e173c9c/nova/virt/libvirt/imagebackend.py#L653

Matt