[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Rocky Ceph update/upgrade regression risk (semi-FFE)

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 07:57:31 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

i want to raise attention on remaining patches that are needed to
prevent losing Ceph updates/upgrades in Rocky [1], basically making the
Ceph upgrade mechanism compatible with config-download. I'd call this a
semi-FFE, as a few of the patches have characteristics of feature work,
but at the same time i don't believe we can afford having Ceph
unupgradable in Rocky, so it has characteristics of a regression bug
too. I reported a bug [2] and tagged the patches in case we end up
having to do backports.

Please help with reviews and landing the patches if possible.

<mini-rant-ending-positively>
It would have been better to focus on this earlier in the cycle, but
majority of Upgrades squad work is exactly this kind of semi-FFE --
nontrivial in terms of effort required, but at the same time it's not
something we can realistically slip into the next release, because it
would be a regression. This sort of work tends to steal some of our
focus in N cycle and direct it towards N-1 release (or even older).
However, i think we've been gradually catching up with the release cycle
lately, and increased focus on keeping update/upgrade CI green helps us
catch breakages before they land and saves some person-hours, so i'm
hoping the future is bright(er) on this.
</mini-rant-ending-positively>

Thanks and have a good day,

Jirka

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:external-update-upgrade