[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Editable environments with resource registry entries

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Jul 25 19:32:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

This came up recently on my review to add an environment to enable
Designate in a TripleO deployment.  It needs to set both resource
registry entries and some user-configurable parameters, which means
users need to make a copy of it that they can edit.  However, if the
file moves then the relative paths will break.

The suggestion for Designate was to split the environment into one part
that contains registry entries and one that contains parameters.  This
way the file users edit doesn't have any paths in it.  So far so good.

Then as I was writing docs[1] on how to use it I was reminded that we
have other environments that use this pattern.  In this case,
specifically the ips-from-pool* (like [2]) files.  I don't know if there
are others.

So do we need to rework all of those environments too, or is there
another option?

Thanks.

-Ben

1: https://review.openstack.org/585833