[openstack-dev] [tripleo] How to integrate a Heat plugin in a containerized deployment?

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 10:47:33 UTC 2018

On 7/23/18 12:50 PM, Ricardo Noriega De Soto wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I need to deploy the following Neutron BGPVPN heat plugin.
>
>     https://docs.openstack.org/networking-bgpvpn/ocata/heat.html
>

> This will allow users, to create Heat templates with BGPVPN resources.
> Right now, BGPVPN service plugin is only available in
> neutron-server-opendaylight Kolla image:
>
>     https://github.com/openstack/kolla/blob/master/docker/neutron/neutron-server-opendaylight/Dockerfile.j2#L13
>

> It would make sense to add right there the python-networking-bgpvpn-heat
> package. Is that correct? Heat exposes a parameter to configure plugins

You can override that via neutron_server_opendaylight_packages_append in
tripleo common, like [0]

[0]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tripleo-common/tree/container-images/tripleo_kolla_template_overrides.j2#n76

> ( HeatEnginePluginDirs), that corresponds to plugins_dir parameter in
> heat.conf.
>
> What is the issue here?
>
> Heat will try to search any available plugin in the path determined by
> HeatEnginePluginDirs, however, the heat plugin is located in a separate
> container (neutron_api). How should we tackle this? I see no other
> example of this type of integration.

Here is the most recent example [1] of inter-containers state sharing
for Ironic containers. I think something similar should be done for
docker/services/heat* yaml files.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/584265/

> AFAIK, /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages is not exposed to the host as a
> mounted volume, so how is heat supposed to find bgpvpn heat plugin?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Ricardo Noriega
>
> Senior Software Engineer - NFV Partner Engineer | Office of Technology
>   | Red Hat
> irc: rnoriega @freenode

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,