[openstack-dev] [tripleo] prototype with standalone mode and remote edge compute nodes

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 08:20:44 UTC 2018

On 07/19/2018 10:37 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Today I played a little bit with Standalone deployment [1] to deploy a
> single OpenStack cloud without the need of an undercloud and overcloud.
> The use-case I am testing is the following:
> "As an operator, I want to deploy a single node OpenStack, that I can
> extend with remote compute nodes on the edge when needed."
>
> We still have a bunch of things to figure out so it works out of the
> box, but so far I was able to build something that worked, and I found
> useful to share it early to gather some feedback:
>   https://gitlab.com/emacchi/tripleo-standalone-edge
>
> Keep in mind this is a proof of concept, based on upstream documentation
> and re-using 100% what is in TripleO today. The only thing I'm doing is
> to change the environment and the roles for the remote compute node.
> I plan to work on cleaning the manual steps that I had to do to make it
> working, like hardcoding some hiera parameters and figure out how to
> override ServiceNetmap.
>
> Anyway, feel free to test / ask questions / provide feedback.

hi Emilien,

thanks for sharing this.

I have started experimenting with edge deployments to help out on the
split-controplane spec [1], which Steven started addressing

I was able to deploy multiple stacks and isolated Ceph clusters, there
are some bits missing to provision a working configuration for
nova-compute to the edge services, but we could probably collect/export
the necessary outputs from the parent stack (eg. rabbit connection
infos) and feed the edge stacks with those.

A much bigger challenge seems to me that for some services (eg. glance
or cinder) we need to "refresh" the configuration of the controlplane
nodes to push the details of the newly deployed ceph clusters (backends)
of the edge nodes as backends for the controlplane services.

Alternatively, we could opt for the deployment of cinder-volume
instances on the edge nodes, but we would still have the same problem
for glance and possibly other services.

I'd like to discuss further this topic at the PTG to gether more
feedback so I added a bullet to the pad with the Stein PTG topics [2].

1. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/split-controlplane
2. https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ptg-stein

--
Giulio Fidente