[openstack-dev] [tripleo] prototype with standalone mode and remote edge compute nodes

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 20:37:58 UTC 2018

Today I played a little bit with Standalone deployment [1] to deploy a
single OpenStack cloud without the need of an undercloud and overcloud.
The use-case I am testing is the following:
"As an operator, I want to deploy a single node OpenStack, that I can
extend with remote compute nodes on the edge when needed."

We still have a bunch of things to figure out so it works out of the box,
but so far I was able to build something that worked, and I found useful to
share it early to gather some feedback:
  https://gitlab.com/emacchi/tripleo-standalone-edge

Keep in mind this is a proof of concept, based on upstream documentation
and re-using 100% what is in TripleO today. The only thing I'm doing is to
change the environment and the roles for the remote compute node.
I plan to work on cleaning the manual steps that I had to do to make it
working, like hardcoding some hiera parameters and figure out how to
override ServiceNetmap.

Anyway, feel free to test / ask questions / provide feedback.

Thanks,
[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/install/containers_deployment/standalone.html
--