[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-5, July 23-27

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Thu Jul 19 15:50:06 UTC 2018

On 18-07-19 10:42:11, Sean McGinnis wrote:

> Development Focus
> -----------------
>
> Teams should be focused on implementing planned work. Work should be wrapping
> up on client libraries to meet the client lib deadline Thursday, the 26th.
>
> General Information
> -------------------
>
> The final client library release is on Thursday the 26th. Releases will only be
> allowed for critical fixes in libraries after this point as we stabilize
> requirements and give time for any unforeseen impacts from lib changes to
> trickle through.
>
> If release critical library or client library releases are needed for Rocky
> past the freeze dates, you must request a Feature Freeze Exception (FFE) from
> the requirements team before we can do a new release to avoid having something
> released in Rocky that is not actually usable. This is done by posting to the
> openstack-dev mailing list with a subject line similar to:
>
>     [$PROJECT][requirements] FFE requested for $PROJECT_LIB
>
> Include justification/reasoning for why a FFE is needed for this lib. If/when
> the requirements team OKs the post-freeze update, we can then process a new
> release. Including a link to the FFE in the release request is not required,
> but would be helpful in making sure we are clear to do a new release.
>
> When requesting these library releases, you should also include the stable
> branching request with the review (as an example, see the "branches" section
> here:
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/deliverables/pike/os-brick.yaml#n2)
>
> Cycle-trailing projects are reminded that all reviews to the requirements
> project will have a procedural -2 unless it recieves a FFE until stable/rocky
> is branched.
>
> Upcoming Deadlines & Dates
> --------------------------
>
> Stein PTL nominations: July 24-31 (pending finalization)
> Final client library release deadline: July 26
> Rocky-3 Milestone: July 26
> RC1 deadline: August 9

Projects should also make sure their requirements files are up to date
as OpenStack now uses per-project requirements.  Further projects should
make sure they have a release containing the update.  This means that
updates to the requirements files falls to the individual projects and
not the requirements bot.  It is recommended that you have a
lower-constraints.txt file and test with it to know when you need to
update.  See the following example for how to run a basic tox LC job.
https://github.com/openstack/oslo.db/blob/master/tox.ini#L76-L81

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)