[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-26

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jul 19 12:24:44 UTC 2018

Zane Bitter wrote:
> [...]
>> And I'm not convinced that's an either/or choice...
>
> I said specifically that it's an either/or/and choice.

I was speaking more about the "we need to pick between two approaches,
let's document them" that the technical vision exercise started as.
Basically I mean I'm missing clear examples of where pursuing AWS would
mean breaking vCenter.

> So it's not a binary choice but it's very much a ternary choice IMHO.
> The middle ground, where each project - or even each individual
> contributor within a project - picks an option independently and
> proceeds on the implicit assumption that everyone else chose the same
> option (although - spoiler alert - they didn't)... that's not a good
> place to be.

Right, so I think I'm leaning for an "and" choice.

Basically OpenStack wants to be an AWS, but ended up being used a lot as
a vCenter (for multiple reasons, including the limited success of
US-based public cloud offerings in 2011-2016). IMHO we should continue
to target an AWS, while doing our best to not break those who use it as
a vCenter. Would explicitly acknowledging that (we still want to do an
AWS, but we need to care about our vCenter users) get us the alignment
you seek ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)