[openstack-dev] [nova] Bug 1781710 killing the check queue

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:14:55 UTC 2018

On 7/18/2018 1:13 PM, melanie witt wrote:

>> Can we get rid of multi-create?  It keeps causing complications, and
>> it already
>> has weird behaviour if you ask for min_count=X and max_count=Y and only X
>> instances can be scheduled.  (Currently it fails with NoValidHost, but
>> it should
>> arguably start up X instances.)
>
> We've discussed that before but I think users do use it and appreciate
> the ability to boot instances in batches (one request). The behavior you
> describe could be changed with a microversion, though I'm not sure if
> that would mean we have to preserve old behavior with the previous
> microversion.

Correct, we can't just remove it since that's a backward incompatible
microversion change. Plus, NFV people *love* it.

>>> After talking with Sean Mooney, we have another fix which is
>>> self-contained to
>>> the scheduler [5] so we wouldn't need to make any changes to the
>>> RequestSpec
>>> handling in conductor. It's admittedly a bit hairy, so I'm asking for
>>> some eyes
>>> on it since either way we go, we should get going soon before we hit
>>> the FF and
>>> RC1 rush which *always* kills the gate.
>>
>> One of your options mentioned using RequestSpec.num_instances to
>> decide if it's
>> in a multi-create.  Is there any reason to persist
>> RequestSpec.num_instances?
>> It seems like it's only applicable to the initial request, since after
>> that each
>> instance is managed individually.

Yes, I agree RequestSpec.num_instances is something we shouldn't persist
since it's only applicable to the initial server create (you can't
multi-migrate a group of instances, for example - but I'm sure people
have asked for that at some point), and it should be set per call to the
scheduler, but that's a wider-ranging change since it would touch
several parts of conductor, plus the request spec, plus the
ServerGroupAntiAffinitySchedulerFilter.

Honestly I'm OK with doing either, and I don't think they are mutually
exclusive things, so we could make num_instances a per-request thing in
the future for sanity reasons.

Matt