[openstack-dev] [tripleo] New "validation" subcommand for "openstack undercloud"

Pablo Iranzo Gómez Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 05:32:47 UTC 2018

Hi

> Dear Stackers,
>
> In order to let operators properly validate their undercloud node, I
> propose to create a new subcommand in the "openstack undercloud" "tree":
> `openstack undercloud validate'
>
> This should only run the different validations we have in the
> undercloud_preflight.py
> That way, an operator will be able to ensure all is valid before
> starting "for real" any other command like "install" or "upgrade".
>
> Of course, this "validate" step is embedded in the "install" and
> "upgrade" already, but having the capability to just validate without
> any further action is something that can be interesting, for example:
>
> - ensure the current undercloud hardware/vm is sufficient for an update
> - ensure the allocated VM for the undercloud is sufficient for a deploy
> - and so on
>
> There are probably other possibilities, if we extend the "validation"
> scope outside the "undercloud" (like, tripleo, allinone, even overcloud).
>
> What do you think? Any pros/cons/thoughts?

Great idea.

We did something similar from support side with https://citellus.org not just
for upgrades but also for identifying ongoing issues also from sosreports.

Wes did a POC at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553571/ for integrating it too.

So if we could even reuse them somehow, that will be great.

Thanks!
Pablo

--

Pablo Iranzo Gómez (Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com)          GnuPG: 0x5BD8E1E4
Senior Software Maintenance Engineer - OpenStack