[openstack-dev] [Tripleo] New validation: ensure we actually have enough disk space on the undercloud

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 10:39:29 UTC 2018

On 07/16/2018 12:18 PM, Sergii Golovatiuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Cédric Jeanneret <cjeanner at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Dear Stackers,
>>
>> I'm currently looking for some inputs in order to get a new validation,
>> ran as a "preflight check" on the undercloud.
>>
>> The aim is to ensure we actually have enough disk space for all the
>> files and, most importantly, the registry, being local on the
>> undercloud, or remote (provided the operator has access to it, of course).
>>
>> Although the doc talks about minimum requirements, there's the "never
>> trust the user inputs" law, so it would be great to ensure the user
>> didn't overlook the requirements regarding disk space.
>
> You may check disk space before undercloud deployment. All we need to
> do is to ensure there is enough space for particular version of
> undercloud. Also there should be upgrade check to validate space
> before running undercloud upgrade.

Yep, that's the intend. According to the requirements, 60G minimum are
required for the undercloud prior to deploy - and there's a check in
tripleo-validations for upgrade, asking for 10G.

>> The "right" way would be to add a new validation directly in the
>> tripleo-validations repository, and run it at an early stage of the
>> undercloud deployment (and maybe once again before the overcloud deploy
>> starts, as disk space will probably change due to the registry and logs
>> and packages and so on).
>
> Since validations are simple ansible tasks so you may invoke them
> before installing undercloud. However, we may need additional tag for
> undercloud checks

Not really - in fact we can run them as ansible from the
undercloud_preflight "lib" - it's already in the pipe, just have to
ensure it actually works as expected.

There's a tiny thing though: the "openstack-tripleo-validations" package
is not installed prior the undercloud deploy, meaning we don't have
access to its content - I'm currently adding this package as a
dependency of python-tripleoclient:
https://review.rdoproject.org/r/#/c/14847/

Once this one is merged, we will be able to call all the validations we
want from this package - in addition, I've created a small wrapper
allowing to call "ansible-playbook" with the correct options directly
from the undercloud_preflight.py thingy.
That will allow to converge some requirements, for example the RAM check
is wrong in the undercloud_preflight (checking for 8G only) but correct
in the ansible check (asking for 16G).

The card has been updated accordingly.

Thank you for the answers, in and off-list :).

Cheers,

C.