[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Updates/upgrades equivalent for external_deploy_tasks

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 09:08:21 UTC 2018

Thanks for the feedback, John and Emilien.

On 13.7.2018 01:35, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> +1 for Option A as well, I feel like it's the one which would give us the
> more of flexibility and also I'm not a big fan of the usage of Anchors for
> this use case.
> Some folks are currently working on extracting these tasks out of THT and I
> can already see something like:
>
>          external_deploy_tasks
>            - include_role:
>                name: my-service
>                tasks_from: deploy
>
>          external_update_tasks
>            - include_role:
>                name: my-service
>                tasks_from: update
>
> Or we could re-use the same playbooks, but use tags maybe.
> Anyway, I like your proposal and I vote for option A.

I like the tasks_from approach in the snippet. Regarding tags, i'm
currently thinking of using them to optionally update/upgrade individual
services which make use of external_*_tasks. E.g. in an environment with
both OpenShift and Ceph, i'm hoping we could run:

     openstack overcloud external-update run --tags ceph
     openstack overcloud external-update run --tags openshift

to update them separately if needed. That's the way i'm trying to
prototype it right now anyway, open to feedback.

Jirka