[openstack-dev] [requirements][infra] Maintaining constraints for several python versions

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Jul 12 16:33:02 UTC 2018

On 07/12/2018 11:05 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 18-07-12 13:52:56, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2018-07-12 06:37:52 -0700 (-0700), Clark Boylan wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I think most of the problems with Fedora stability are around
>>> bringing up a new Fedora every 6 months or so. They tend to change
>>> sufficiently within that time period to make this a fairly
>>> involved exercise. But once working they work for the ~13 months
>>> of support they offer. I know Paul Belanger would like to iterate
>>> more quickly and just keep the most recent Fedora available
>>> (rather than ~2).
>> [...]
>>
>> Regardless its instability/churn makes it unsuitable for stable
>> branch jobs because the support lifetime of the distro release is
>> shorter than the maintenance lifetime of our stable branches. Would
>> probably be fine for master branch jobs but not beyond, right?
>
> I'm of the opinion that we should decouple from distro supported python
> versions and rely on what versions upstream python supports (longer
> lifetimes than our releases iirc).

Yeah. I don't want to boil the ocean too much ... but as I mentioned in
my other reply, I'm very pleased with pyenv. I would not be opposed to
switching to that for all of our python installation needs. OTOH, I'm
not going to push for it, nor do I have time to implement such a switch.
But I'd vote for it and cheer someone on if they did.