[openstack-dev] [neutron] Stable review

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:26:52 UTC 2018

On 7/12/18 4:10 AM, Takashi Yamamoto wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
>>
>> No we need more contributors to stable and extended maintenance periods.
>> This is not a new problem, and one we're trying to correct.
>
> actually it is a new problem. at least worse than before.

I'm no expert, but wanted to add my $0.02 as a developer who's invested
substantial time in trying to keep a different networking project up to
date with all the underpinning changes; some of which are noted in your
midonet stable/queens patch.

IMHO it's not realistic to think an OpenStack project (master or stable)
can go without routine maintenance for extended period of time in this
day and age; there are just too many dynamic underpinnings. A case in
point are the changes required for the Zuul v3 workstream that don't
appear to be fully propagated into a number of networking projects yet
[1], midonet included.

With that in mind I'm not sure we can just point at the neutron stable
team; there are community wide initiatives that ultimate drive
underpinning changes across many projects. I've found that you either
have to invest the time to "keep up", or "die". For reference I've been
spending nearly 4 person weeks per release just on such "maintenance"
items. It certainly takes time away from functionality that can be
delivered per release, but it seems it's just part of the work necessary
to keep your project "current".

If are wanting to reduce the amount work for projects to "stay current"
then IMO it's certainly a bigger issue than neutron.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-June/131801.html