[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee update for 2018-07-10

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jul 10 17:32:17 UTC 2018

This is the weekly summary of work being done by the Technical
Committee members. The full list of active items is managed in the
wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

Other approved changes:

* remove project team diversity tags: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/579870/

Office hour logs:

* http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-04.log.html#t2018-07-04T01:00:01
* http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-05.log.html#t2018-07-05T15:00:09
* http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-10.log.html#t2018-07-10T09:01:41

== Ongoing Discussions ==

The Adjutant team application as the minimum number of votes required to
be approved. It could not be formally accepted until 14 July and I know
we have several TC members traveling this week so I will hold it open
until next week to allow for final votes and discussion.

* https://review.openstack.org/553643

Colleen is going to contact the election officials about scheduling the
elections for the end of Rocky / beginning of Stein.

Project team "health check" discussions are continuing. As Chris
mentioned in his email this week, the point of this process is to have
TC members actively engage with each team to understand any potential
issues they are facing. We have a few teams impacted by the ZTE
situation, and we have a few other teams with some affiliation diversity
concerns that we would like to try to help address. We have also
discovered that some teams are healthier than we expected based on how
obvious (or not) their activity was.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-July/132101.html

I have made a few revisions to the python3-first goal based on feedback
on the patch and testing. I expect a few more small updates with links
to examples.

* https://review.openstack.org/575933

I have also proposed a PTI update for the documentation jobs that is a
prerequisite to moving ahead with the python 3 changes during Stein.

* https://review.openstack.org/580495
* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-July/132025.html

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

Thierry's changes to the Project Team Guide to include a technical
guidance section need reviewers.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/578070/1

Zane needs to update the proposal for diversity requirements or guidance
for new project teams based on existing feedback.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/567944/

Please vote on the Adjutant team application.
https://review.openstack.org/553643

Remember that we agreed to send status updates on initiatives separately
to openstack-dev every two weeks. If you are working on something for
which there has not been an update in a couple of weeks, please consider
summarizing the status.

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

You will find channel logs with past conversations at
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.