[openstack-dev] [TripleO] easily identifying how services are configured

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 04:59:03 UTC 2018

[snip]

> I would almost rather see us organize the directories by service
> name/project instead of implementation.
>
> Instead of:
>
> puppet/services/nova-api.yaml
> puppet/services/nova-conductor.yaml
> docker/services/nova-api.yaml
> docker/services/nova-conductor.yaml
>
> We'd have:
>
> services/nova/nova-api-puppet.yaml
> services/nova/nova-conductor-puppet.yaml
> services/nova/nova-api-docker.yaml
> services/nova/nova-conductor-docker.yaml

I'd also go for that one - it would be clearer and easier to search when
one wants to see how the service is configured, displaying all implem
for given service.
The current tree is a bit unusual.

> (or perhaps even another level of directories to indicate
> puppet/docker/ansible?)
>
> Personally, such an organization is something I'm more used to. It
> feels more similar to how most would expect a puppet module or ansible
> role to be organized, where you have the abstraction (service
> configuration) at a higher directory level than specific
> implementations.
>
> It would also lend itself more easily to adding implementations only
> for specific services, and address the question of if a new top level
> implementation directory needs to be created. For example, adding a
> services/nova/nova-api-chef.yaml seems a lot less contentious than
> adding a top level chef/services/nova-api.yaml.

True. Easier to add new deployment ways, and probably easier to search.

> It'd also be nice if we had a way to mark the default within a given
> service's directory. Perhaps services/nova/nova-api-default.yaml,
> which would be a new template that just consumes the default? Or
> perhaps a symlink, although it was pointed out symlinks don't work in
> swift containers. Still, that could possibly be addressed in our plan
> upload workflows. Then the resource-registry would point at
> nova-api-default.yaml. One could easily tell which is the default
> without having to cross reference with the resource-registry.

+42 for a way to get the default implem - a template that just consume
the right one should be enough and self-explanatory.
Having a tree based on services instead of implem will allow that in an
easy way.

--
Cédric Jeanneret
Software Engineer