[openstack-dev] [TripleO] easily identifying how services are configured

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 18:23:32 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-07-05 at 14:13 -0400, James Slagle wrote:

> I would almost rather see us organize the directories by service
> name/project instead of implementation.
>
> Instead of:
>
> puppet/services/nova-api.yaml
> puppet/services/nova-conductor.yaml
> docker/services/nova-api.yaml
> docker/services/nova-conductor.yaml
>
> We'd have:
>
> services/nova/nova-api-puppet.yaml
> services/nova/nova-conductor-puppet.yaml
> services/nova/nova-api-docker.yaml
> services/nova/nova-conductor-docker.yaml
>
> (or perhaps even another level of directories to indicate
> puppet/docker/ansible?)

I'd be open to this but doing changes on this scale is a much larger
developer and user impact than what I was thinking we would be willing
to entertain for the issue that caused me to bring this up (i.e. how to
identify services which get configured by Ansible).

Its also worth noting that many projects keep these sorts of things in
different repos too. Like Kolla fully separates kolla-ansible and
kolla-kubernetes as they are quite divergent. We have been able to
preserve some of our common service architectures but as things move
towards kubernetes we may which to change things structurally a bit
too.

Dan