[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Update for 3 July

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jul 5 07:51:17 UTC 2018

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-07-04 16:38:41 -0500 (-0500), Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
>> I would propose based on this lack of feedback that we go back to
>> just having our predesignated office hour times, and anyone
>> interested in catching up on what, if anything, was discussed
>> during office hours can go to the the point in the IRC logs that
>> they are interested in.
> [...]
>
> Heartily seconded.

Thirded.

Office hours were meant to encourage gathering around specific times (1)
to increase the odds of reaching critical mass necessary for discussion,
and (2) to ensure presence for outsiders wanting to reach out to the TC.

The meeting bot enforces a "start" and an "end" to the discussion. It
makes the hour busier. It encourages the discussion to stop rather than
to continue outside of the designated times. It discourages random
discussions outside the hour (since it won't be logged the same). And
imho discourages external questions (since they would be "on the record"
and interrupt busy discussions). So yes, I would prefer it to end.

Since I don't like to shut down an experiment without proposing
something else, here would be my suggestion. I would like to see a
middle way between raw logs and meeting reports -- a way to take notes
on a discussion channel the same way we document a meeting, but without
a start, an end. Automatically producing a report with #info #agree
#links every day or week, not changing topics or requiring chairs, or
start/endmeeting.

Then you get the benefit of a summary (with links to raw logs) without
constraining the discussion to specific "hours". If we are good at
documenting, it might even reduce the need to read all logs for the
channel -- just check the summary for interesting mentions and follow
links if interested. The bot could even serve yesterday's report to you
in privmsg if you asked for it. That feature would, I believe, be reused
in other channels.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)