[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible][ptl] PTL candidacy for Rocky

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Wed Jan 31 22:16:08 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce my candidacy for PTL of the
OpenStack-Ansible project for the Rocky cycle.

I will focus on a single theme this cycle, simplification.

After all the features introduced in Queens cycle, it's time
to simplify our work:

* Reduce the amount of variables in each role, and/or rename them to
  a more guessable name.
* Make possible to use a source of truth to reduce the amount of
  glue variables we need. A candidate for source of truth could
  be etcd, due to its presence in the OpenStack reference architecture.
* Simplifying further our "repo build".
* Simplifying our tasks, by using convention over configuration
  (Reducing the group configurability for example).
* Reducing the need of our dynamic inventory: everyone
  should be able to use openstack-ansible with a simple static inventory.
* Clarify each role maturity/contributions status. This would
  make easier for deployers to understand the status of each role, and
  take the appropriate decisions to whether or not deploy project x
  or y. If we make it simple to contribute to new
  roles and playbooks, it would also open us to more contributions
  and contributors.

On top of those simplification topics, I'd like to add the following
features in the next cycle, depending on their release timing:
* Upgrade to Ansible 2.5
* Support Ubuntu 18.04

I look forward to keep working with you all, and it would be my
honor to serve as PTL for the next cycle.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to see you in Dublin,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)