[openstack-dev] [sdk][ptl] PTL Candidacy for Rocky

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jan 31 15:54:17 UTC 2018

Hi everybody!

I'd like to run for PTL of OpenStackSDK again

This last cycle was pretty exciting. We merged the shade and
openstacksdk projects into a single team. We shifted os-client-config to
that team as well. We merged the code from shade and os-client-config
into openstacksdk, and then renamed the team.

It wasn't just about merging projects though. We got some rework done to
base the Proxy classes on keystoneauth Adapters providing direct
passthrough REST availability for services. We finished the
Resource2/Proxy2 transition. We updated pagination to work for all of
the OpenStack services - and in the process uncovered a potential
cross-project goal. And we tied services in openstacksdk to services
listed in the Service Types Authority.

Moving forward, there's tons to do.

First and foremost we need to finish integrating the shade code into the
sdk codebase. The sdk layer and the shade layer are currently friendly
but separate, and that doesn't make sense long term. To do this, we need
to figure out a plan for rationalizing the return types - shade returns
munch.Munch objects which are dicts that support object attribute
access. The sdk returns Resource objects.

There are also multiple places where the logic in the shade layer can
and should move into the sdk's Proxy layer. Good examples of this are
swift object uploads and downloads and glance image uploads.

I'd like to move masakari and tricircle's out-of-tree SDK classes in tree.

shade's caching and rate-limiting layer needs to be shifted to be able
to apply to both levels, and the special caching for servers, ports and
floating-ips needs to be replaced with the general system. For us to do
that though, the general system needs to be improved to handle
nodepool's batched rate-limited use case as well.

We need to remove the guts of both shade and os-client-config in their
repos and turn them into backwards compatibility shims.

We need to work with the python-openstackclient team to finish getting
the current sdk usage updated to the non-Profile-based flow, and to make
sure we're providing what they need to start replacing uses of
python-*client with uses of sdk.

I know the folks with the shade team background are going to LOVE this
one, but we need to migrate existing sdk tests that mock sdk objects to
requests-mock. (We also missed a few shade tests that still mock out
methods on OpenStackCloud that need to get transitioned)

Finally - we need to get a 1.0 out this cycle. We're very close - the
main sticking point now is the shade/os-client-config layer, and
specifically cleaning up a few pieces of shade's API that weren't great
but which we couldn't change due to API contracts.

I'm sure there will be more things to do too. There always are.

In any case, I'd love to keep helping to pushing these rocks uphill.

Thanks!
Monty