[openstack-dev] [oslo][oslo.log] JSON logs are missing the request ID

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 25 15:15:25 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Saverio Proto's message of 2018-01-24 22:18:39 +0100:
> > 3.34.0 is a queens series release, which makes it more likely that more
> > other dependencies would need to be updated. Even backporting the
> > changes to the Ocata branch and releasing it from there would require
> > updating several other libraries.
> >

> That is what I was fearing. Consider that our upgrade schedule is now to
> have Pike by the end of 2018. Unless we try to skip a release.

You should seriously consider upgrading to at least Queens. Pike will be out
of community support by Sept 2018 (https://releases.openstack.org). Some
of the community deployment tools have support for "fast-forward"
upgrades (allowing you to install several versions in series and only
launch the cloud again when the final version is installed). You can
check with the team that manages your deployment tool to see if it
supports this capability.

> > Are you using packages from Canonical, or are you building them
> > yourself?
>
> I am using the packages from Canonical, but I am familiar patching those
> packages and merge my changes upstream back to Canonical.
> If the problem is just dependencies with the ".deb" packages, I can
> handle that. But if the problem is really python code not working
> together across multiple components, then I have little hope to fix this
> in Newton.

I don't know Canonical's support policies, but it may be possible to
backport a patch to oslo.log to provide the missing information.

> Thanks for the support, if I manage to make some progress on this I will
> send an update on this thread on the mailing list.

Good luck, and please do let me know how it goes.

Doug